Skip to main content

The information located on this page will provide all employees with an understanding of their rights and responsibility under state and federal leave laws. The City’s Human Resources team is here to help with FMLA/OFLA/PFML benefits, eligibility, and any general leave questions you may have.  Please reach out to us at x7529 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

leave header

Applying for leave benefits

Start here, for any type of leave:

1. Notify your supervisor

2. Submit a leave request through ESS:

Submit a Leave Request

Note: You will need to be on the City network to submit a request

Notice Requirements for Leave:

30-day notice: For foreseeable leave needs, employees must provide the City with at least 30 calendar days’ notice before taking leave by notifying their supervisor or designee in their supervisor’s absence, and by notifying Human Resources.

24-hour emergency notice: In an emergency, employees must give verbal notice to the City (their supervisor, at a minimum) within 24 hours of their absence that they need to take family, medical, or safe leave. Within three (3) days after starting leave, written notice to the City (as outlined above) is required. Verbal notice for unforeseeable leave may be given by anyone on behalf of the employee.  Written notice may be given by the employee’s emergency contact person, or any other person otherwise designated by the employee, as reflected in the employer’s records.

Note: Under PFML regulations, failure to give notice as required by the PFML statute, may result in PFML benefits reduction of up to 25% of the first week’s benefit.

3. Once the leave request is received, Human Resources will provide the employee with the following (if applicable to their leave):

  • Initial Notice of Eligibility and Rights
  • Certification of Health Care Provider (Must be submitted to Human Resources within 15 calendar days after the employer’s request for certification. If the employee fails to provide complete and sufficient medical certification, their leave request may be denied.)
  • Return-to-Work Restrictions Form, if applicable. (Must be provided to your supervisor or Human Resources prior to returning to work.) 
  • Designation Notice 

If you are applying for PFML you ALSO need to do these steps:

1. Complete the leave packet that pertains to your leave need:

Own Serious Health Condition

Care of Family Member

Bonding (parental leave)

Voluntary Tax Withholding Request

Note: All items on the form are required unless noted as optional.

2. Once the packet has been completed and signed, please return to The Standard along with any additional forms or supporting documents.

Forms can be submitted either by fax: 866-751-5174 or email at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. by the required due date given at the time of claim submission.

3. The Standard will review the protected leave forms and notify the employee if the claim has been approved or denied within approximately one week of receiving all completed documentation.

Note: All forms must be returned within 15 days of your request or your claim will be denied. If you need more time, please contact The Standard to extend your deadline.

For more information about each leave benefit program:

The Human Resources Department develops and maintains innovative and responsive systems and programs that help recruit, retain and sustain a high quality workforce and encourage a commitment to excellence.

Read our department's mission, vision, and values

The City of Albany is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in its workforce. Women, minorities, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply for City positions. Please notify the Human Resources Department if you need any reasonable accommodation or assistance with any part of our application and screening process. Hearing impaired individuals needing assistance can call the Oregon Relay Service at 800-735-2900 and provide them this phone number: 541-917-7509. All other applications are only accepted online through our vendor, NEOGOV.

Contact us

 333 Broadalbin SW
Back to Top